A service project is a special Good Turn that puts Scout spirit into action. Projects can take many forms such as a community cleanup, repairing a place of worship, improving a wildlife habitat, or organizing a recycling effort. Start now reporting all service hours. It is a key measurement goal in the Journey to Excellence program. Don’t miss out on valuable points for your JTE unit award.
To easily log your unit’s service hours, go to
Simply fill out a brief questionnaire about your project. The council will report these service project hours to the national office for you.
Looking for community service ideas? Check out the list below for nearby organizations looking for volunteers and other service project ideas.
Upcoming service opportunities:
- OATS Shoe Collection: Drop off new or gently used shoes at any OATS office. Your donations will help OATS purchase a new bus. For questions, contact OATS volunteer coordinator Susan Streit at 573-443-4516 ext 9008.
Community service ideas:
- Operation Clean Stream, picking up trash near waterways
- Food service clean-up and tear-down at church breakfast/dinner
- Christmas caroling or door decorating for senior living communities
- Trash pick-up after school carnival
- Landscape maintenance and grounds clean-up at local park
- Staff booth and provide Scouting activities at community fair
- Serve lunch at a homeless shelter
- Distribute water at 5k
- Build a bookcase for school library or church