OA Miliwakay Chapter
Greetings from the Order of the Arrow Miliwakay Chapter Black Gold District.
Our Chapter has had a Busy and Eventful in the year 2016.
We have 76 registered members. Out of those there are: 25 ordeal members, 34 brotherhood members and 16 vigil members.
- Last year our Chapter was honored to have a new Vigil member: Yvonne Straeter.
- This year we will have a Brother become a Vigil member: John Lappe from Troop 281 Carlyle. Congratulations to both of them.
- Our Chapter participated in many activities and provided Cheerful Service to the Lodge and Community.
- Branding of Totems at Spring Fellowship as we have done for the past 8 years.
- Conducting Unit Elections for various troops.
- Our Ceremony Team performed Cross over ceremonies for Cub Scout packs and troops.
We have talked to Cub Scout Packs and explained the History of the Order of the Arrow and how its connection with Scouting has worked together. This gave the opportunity to give a better understanding of the Order of the Arrow and why when the ceremony team performs and/or the see a scout wearing the RED ARROW on the White SASH what it means.
The Chapter’s Ceremony team was asked to perform the Brotherhood Ceremony at the Fall Fellowship by the Lodge, we were honored and had fun doing and did quite well. We have been asked to perform the ceremony again for the lodge. Thank you to my fellow brothers of that ceremony team, Noah Straeter, Ben Schatz, John Lappe, I am glad to have been on that team with you. (Pause to recognize)
On Feb 12th the ceremony team took part in the Eagle Scout Ceremony at Grace United Methodist Church in Salem IL, it was a pleasure and a privilege to be a part of that special event. A special moment for the Ceremony team was when they were congratulated on an outstanding performance and was asked to pose for a picture with Illinois State Representative John Cavaletto, what a way to begin the 2017 year.
- On March 12th we will perform a Cross over Ceremony at the KC Hall Carlyle Pack 281.
- April 8th is a Day of Service at Camp Vandeventer.
- April 22 is Day of Service at Camp Joy.
- April 21,22,23 is Spring Fellowship at Camp Joy, and Vigil weekend.
- On April 27th we will do a presentation for Pack 281 Carlyle during their Pack Meeting at the VFW Hall.
The Chapter will meet at the same time during Roundtable. The 1st Thursday of each month at Grace UMC in Salem from 7:00-8:00. All youth and Adults are more than welcomed to attend.
Any questions, please call Chapter Advisor John Straeter 618-594-2799.