Upcoming Town Hall Meetings and Merger Update
March 14, 2017
Since the Lewis & Clark and Greater St. Louis Area Councils officially merged on January 1, many program enhancements and functional improvements have already taken place. Learn about what has been accomplished so far and what priorities lie ahead during one of our upcoming town hall meetings.
|Town Hall Meeting Schedule|
|Tues., March 21 | 7 p.m.
Troop 4/Pack 15 Activity Center
(formerly First Presbyterian Activity Center)
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
|Wed., March 22 | 7 p.m.
Beaumont Scout Reservation
6480 Beaumont Reservation Dr.
High Ridge, MO 63049
|Thurs., March 30 | 7 p.m.
Rend Lake Golf Course
12476 Golf Course Dr.
Whittington, IL 62897
| Tues., April 11 | 7 p.m.
O’Fallon United Church of Christ
206 W. Adams St.
O’Fallon, IL 62269
|Wed., April 12 | 7 p.m.
Famous Eagle Dining Hall,
S-F Scout Ranch
120 US Highway 67
Farmington, MO 63640
*Attendance is free but registration is requested so that the proper seating arrangements and refreshments can be supplied at each location.
Have a burning question about the new merged council? Submit it here. We will do our best to address these questions during the town hall meetings.
At the start of the year, the Lewis & Clark Council and Greater St. Louis Area Council officially merged on January 1 to form the new Greater St. Louis Area Council. Since then, there have been numerous successes and accomplishments on our new unified team. Most notably, both legacy councils:
- Achieved year-end membership growth
- Had a year-end surplus
- Achieved Journey to Excellence Gold status
Promotions & New Hires
The merger process also allowed us to re-evaluate the organizational chart and better align our staffing needs. As a result, several team members were promoted to serve in new capacities:
- Vicki Baxter- formerly Kaskaskia Senior District Executive now Piasa Bird Senior District Executive
- Ben Blumenberg- now leading team 2, the largest field team in the new Council
- Kim Blumenberg- formerly director of cub camping, now director of training and advancement
- Kevin Buhr- formerly St. Clair District Executive now Cahokia Mounds District Director
- Mike Eschbach- formerly Piasa Bird District Director now Gravois Trail District Director
- Mark Hays- Field director leading operations in the Cohen Service Center
- Sandy Holmes- formerly business manager now Director of Business Operations
- Claire Nordmann- formerly director of special programs now Team 1 Field Director leading Scouting programs in the urban core of the metro area and metro east
- Suzie Redington- formerly Gravois Trail District Executive now Activities Director
- Laura Roach- formerly Senior District Executive for Cahokia Mounds now Director of Cub Scout Camping
- Megan Selck joined as Senior Development Director working out of the Belleville Office Cohen Service Center
- T’Shon Young joined as Field Director- Exploring & Learning for Life
- 2017 Summer Camp Directors:
- Famous Eagle, S bar F Scout Ranch- Matthew Kasate
- Camp Gamble, S bar F Scout Ranch- Tom McCarthy
- Camp Lewallen- Justin Crain
- Camp Joy- Dan Dickson
- Camp May, Beaumont Scout Reservation- Laura Roach
- Camp Warren Levis- Carol Wheaton
Our nationally-recognized STEM programs have grown due to the merger with new partnerships formed with organizations in the metro-east. To date, new activities have been planned for this spring and fall with Vatterott College in Fairview Heights as well as a new STEM University offering at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
As we said from the beginning, eight camp properties is too many. A volunteer committee with representatives of both former councils is currently being formed. This committee will be tasked with studying the current and future usage of our properties to determine a long-range plan. To aid in this process, the Boy Scouts of America’s National Engineering team has already visited all eight camp properties. In the coming months, they will provide a holistic review of each property.
All former Lewis & Clark Council districts had a dedicated webpage on stlbsa.org on Jan. 1. Calendar integration also took place over the first couple of months while training, advancement, and other program areas continue to be added and developed as events and activities come up.
With the weather starting to warm, the Greater St. Louis Area Council is gearing up for an exciting spring with many great events planned. We hope you’ll save the date for these upcoming events:
- Bruce Holland Distinguished Citizen Dinner – April 13, Four Points by Sheraton, Fairview Heights, Ill.
- Construction Industry Pinewood Derby – April 20, Moto Museum, St. Louis
- Eagle Scout Recognition Dinner honoring David & Lelia Farr – May 2, Chase Park Plaza, St. Louis
- Council Annual Recognition Dinner – June 7, Collinsville Gateway Center
- Sporting Clays – June 9, Strathalbyn Farms Club, St. Charles, MO