single event: West County STEM Drafting MB Workshop
- Strong interest in learning about drafting
- A laptop with AutoCAD 2017 installed (Obtain parent’s permission to install software. A link for installing a free 30-day trial version or a free student’s license for AutoCAD 2017 can be found on https://www.mycadsite.com/get-free-autocad.htm) (Note: AutoCAD 2010-2017 versions are all compatible with this workshop)
- Print out and review the Drafting Badge Workbook. Complete the research and writing portions of sections 6 and 7 prior to the workshop. (Drafting Badge Workbooks can be found at https://meritbadge.org/wiki/images/1/1e/Drafting.pdf)
- Basic knowledge of AutoCAD 2017 (https://www.mycadsite.com/tutorials/ is an excellent free educational resource: Completion of Lesson 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, & 1-4 or similar competency using AutoCAD is required to complete the drafting merit badge during this workshop. Please bring a print out of lesson 1-4 assignment 3: “Accurate input” as proof of completion. ) (Note: Introduction to AutoCAD lesson completion time is approximately 4 hours)
- Review this guide to engineering lettering (http://www.ucvts.tec.nj.us/cms/lib5/NJ03001805/Centricity/Domain/611/Lesson%203%20Lettering.pdf)
- If you are unable to provide a laptop for your scout, please contact us and we can arrange for one to be provided.
- Scouts should be in uniform.
We will be learning about the tools used to create hand drawn project sketches and using the tools to create a project sketch and an engineering lettering project. Examples of engineering drawings will be provided for inspiration for the hand drawn project sketches. For the CAD (computer aided drafting) drawing requirement of the merit badge, we will build upon their knowledge of AutoCAD software to recreate a copy of a 2-dimensional floor plan. The workshop will be wrapped up with a discussion on how project sketches and drawings are useful in designing and producing the final products.
Link to registration: http://westcountystem.com/registration/
(Approximate length of workshop is 3 hours)