Members of the Greater St. Louis Area Council are always performing noteworthy acts and service and we are happy to recognize their outstanding service to the Scouting program.
View a list of council youth and adult awards in the column on the left. You can also visit Awards Central for complete list of all awards available from the Boy Scouts of America.
Show us how you’ve enhanced Scouting’s image.
The Beacon Award is presented to Scout units who enhance the image of Scouting in the community. It is limited to one award per unit, per year. This award is intended to recognize units that organize and perform their own Scouting activities, not council-led activities.
There are two ways for your unit to earn the award:
- Send in a newspaper clipping of an article or photograph that shows your unit completing an activity that positively displays the Scouting program to the general public.
- Plan and complete a simple activity that positively displays the Scouting program to the general public.
- Provide a uniformed color guard for a civic ceremony, such as a parade or other public event.
- Have your Scouts present a brief annual report to your chartering organization’s governing body.
- Perform a flag raising and/or flag retirement ceremony, or lead the Pledge of Allegiance at a public meeting.
- Provide service to an outside organization, such as staffing an information booth at a county fair or assisting with logistics at a community event.
Be sure to take a photograph of your Scouts in action at the event. Scouts should wear as complete a uniform as they possess, unless the event calls for work clothes. Complete the Beacon Award Application or send an email with the information and photo as an attachment to Christine Rasure, director of marketing and communications. The information also can be sent to a local community newspaper or a school or church bulletin for possible publication. If a photograph or an article is published, include a copy of the page with your application.
Photographs can be mailed or digital photographs can be emailed as an attachment. Please do not embed the photograph in an email or in a Word document. Include the names of Scouts or leaders in the photograph. The photographs may be published in the Duffle Bag (as space allows) with limited identification for privacy and safety.
For more information, contact Christine Rasure or your district’s public relations chairman.