Whether you’re looking for information regarding the many Advancement opportunities or Awards that may be earned, you’ve come to the right place!
Click on the drop-downs below to explore the opportunities that are available to leaders, parents, and youth.
Starting August 31, 2022 the council office will be moving to accepting only Scoutbook or Internet Advancement Forms. This will help ensure records are recorded correctly and timely.
The (original) Internet Advancement platform was closed June 10, 2019 for use by Packs, Troops, Crews, and Ships. This platform is still available for use by Explorer Posts. When a unit tries to login or create an account, they will be redirected to a landing page with additional explanation on the changes.
Reaching the Top
The rank of Eagle Scout is the highest and most prestigious achievement a Scout can achieve. Highly respected, the title of Eagle Scout carries with it a special significance not only in Scouting, but also in school, business and the community for a lifetime. To attain Eagle, a Scout must earn at least 21 merit badges, display leadership and outdoor skills, demonstrate by example the Scout Oath and Law and complete a comprehensive service project in the community.
Eagle Rank Resources
- Electronic Eagle Scout Application Process (how to contact the Council through email)
- Life to Eagle Process
- Eagle Scout Scholarship Opportunities
- Eagle Scout Association
- License Plates (after clicking, scroll down to the Other Giving accordion, on the left side of the page, for more information)
Citizenship in Society Merit Badge- The Eagle requirements (1 through 6) must be completed before July 1st. The application does not have to be verified, nor the Board of Review held before July 1st. But if any requirements are not finished before 7/01/22 the Scout must do the Citizenship in Society merit badge.
Eagle Scout Extension Process
Eagle Scout Time Extension Request Info
- Eagle Extension Instructions
- Eagle Extension Form (Submit this form to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Eagle Extension FAQ
- Eagle Extension Request and Review Process
- Appealing A Time Extension Request Denial
- Appeal of Extension Request Denial Form
Important Information to Note about Eagle Extensions
The Council has authority to grant limited extensions of time to complete Eagle, Quartermaster and Summit requirements. This will be reviewed at a local level rather than through National.
The Council is required to follow the new Guide to Advancement rules. These will be included in the next publication and are available now at www.scouting.org/advancement.
Extensions are available only to youth members who qualify under the three tests listed In the new guide material.
Eagle Trail Workshop
2022 Eagle Trail Workshops
Jump start your journey along the trail to Eagle with these workshops! The workshop is a unique experience where Scouts work with counselors on three Eagle required badges and the Life-to-Eagle process for a full week, Monday through Thursday from 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
2022 Summer Workshop Dates
August 1st-4th| Beaumont Scout Reservation |Register HERE
2022 Winter Workshop Dates
December 27th - 29th | Virtual Program | Link coming early summer!
Thanks to our 2021 Eagle Trail Workshop Sponsor!
Learn About Nova - S.T.E.M. based awards
- National Nova Program – Familiarize yourself with the BSA NOVA program and find all the newest updates.
- STEM STAR Patch 2022 - New to GSLAC Scouts. Earn this patch by going down the STEM trail while earning other core BSA advancements. Can you be a star in STEM, absolutely. Thanks to Daugherty Business Solutions as our patch sponsor!
- Nova Literature – You can purchase Nova Books for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, & Venturers.
- Nova Unit Guides – Need some help bringing STEM to your Unit? The National STEM Committee developed STEM Unit Guides for Cub Scouts and for Scouts BSA.
- Online Nova Training –Complete your Nova training online through my.scouting- BSA Learn Center
Merit Badge Counselors
If you experience any issues with the Merit Badge Counselor process please contact:
Donna Baer 314-256-3126
New Badge - Citizenship in Society- When applying to become a counselor for this badge please complete the supplemental form and email it to email@example.com or deliver/mail it to any of our council service centers. This badge requires additional training due to the unique way this badge is conducted. Please take the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Scouting Training located at my.scouting.org. NOTE: if you experience issues with my.scouting please clear cache/cookies from your computer as these can cause the program to hang up. Also, using a new incognito window can help helpful. On your counselor application please list your qualifications and and any experience you have regarding this topic. Anticipate that counselor approval for this badge may take longer than usual.
CITIZENSHIP IN SOCIETY agreement (supplemental form)
Citizenship in Society Counselor Seminar- Learn more about this merit badge and tools to help you conduct the merit badge session.
In-person March 19th Seminar |O'Fallon, IL | Register Here
New Badge - Health Care Professions. This badge will replace the Medical merit badge. Starting January 01, 2022 the Medical merit badge should not be started. Those currently working on the Medical badge may finish under those requirements.
Nova and Supernova awards - The individual Nova and Supernova awards have been added to the directory. Counselors and Mentors can now apply for the specific award they are interested in working with.
- Fillable Blue Cards
- Becoming a Merit Badge Counselor / Changes to a Counselor record / Annual Renewals
- Directory and Online Application
Merit Badge Skill Centers
- Click here to see classes offered by Council Approved Program Partners
- GSLAC Merit Badge Group Instruction Policy Form
- Merit Badge Classes:
- Coin Collecting Merit Badge Workshop| May 14, 2022 EAC2022 Boy Scout flyer
- Welding and Metalwork |June 4 |Welding Sign up Information
- Fishing Merit Badge | June 25 | Sign up here
- Law|Railroading|American Heritage|Indian Lore at the Gateway Arch National Park MERIT BADGE WORKSHOPS at Gateway Arch National Park
- Citizenship in the Nation | July 7| see above listing for Council Approved Program Partners for sign up information
Cub Advancement Workshops
University of Scouting
University of Scouting
Thank you to everyone that made the first ever virtual University of Scouting such a success!
University of Scouting is an event that offers the widest variety of Merit Badge clinics as well as training opportunities, in all program areas, all in one place! You will find just about anything to do with Scouting at University of Scouting whether you are a Scout, leader, commissioner, or parent!
Mark your calendars for the 2022 University of Scouting on January 28th, 2023! Click Here for more information.
Scouts BSA Voyageur Workshop
What is it?
Calling all Scouts BSA! We have an action-packed event that is designed to help our first-year Scouts along their advancement trail and enjoy some of the fun activities available at our camps. The workshop runs from 9:00am to 4:30pm.
Join us for Map and Compass, Fire Building, First Aid, and Knots and Lashing instruction. Scouts will also get to try their hand at shooting sports! Don’t miss this chance to have an awesome day at camp while fulfilling many Scout through First Class rank requirements!
May 21st |Beaumont Scout Reservation