Whether you’re looking for information regarding the many Advancement opportunities or Awards that may be earned, you’ve come to the right place!
Click on the drop-downs below to explore the opportunities that are available to leaders, parents, and youth.
Update September 8, 2023- Units will no longer need to turn in an advancement form to the local scout shops. Units will need continue to log their rank advancements in Scoutbook or using Internet Advancement. Scoutbook and Internet Advancement all sync with the our National system. When purchasing restricted items from the your local Scout Shop units must show proof-e.g display on phone, printed purchase order, etc- that ranks have been earned and recorded correctly. Nothing will be collected from the customer.
The (original) Internet Advancement platform was closed June 10, 2019 for use by Packs, Troops, Crews, and Ships. This platform is still available for use by Explorer Posts. When a unit tries to login or create an account, they will be redirected to a landing page with additional explanation on the changes.
- Scoutbook/Internet Advancement information
- Link to the Scoutbook
- FAQ for Scoutbook and Internet Advancement
- Religious Emblems Program
Reaching the Top
The rank of Eagle Scout is the highest and most prestigious achievement a Scout can achieve. Highly respected, the title of Eagle Scout carries with it a special significance not only in Scouting, but also in school, business and the community for a lifetime. To attain Eagle, a Scout must earn at least 21 merit badges, display leadership and outdoor skills, demonstrate by example the Scout Oath and Law and complete a comprehensive service project in the community.
Eagle Rank Resources
- Electronic Eagle Scout Application Process (how to contact the Council through email)
- Life to Eagle Process
- Eagle Scout Scholarship Opportunities
- Eagle Scout Association
- Forms (includes the Eagle Rank Application and the Workbook)
- License Plates (after clicking, scroll down to the Other Giving accordion, on the left side of the page, for more information)
- Eagles Lifting Eagles Support our annual class of Eagle Scouts with sponsoring their Eagle Award Kit.
Eagle Scout Extension Process
The Council has authority to grant limited extensions of time to complete Eagle, Quartermaster and Summit requirements. These will be reviewed at a local Council level following the National guidelines. Youth members who qualify under the three tests listed in the guide material may apply.
- Eagle Extension Instructions
- Eagle Extension Form (Submit this form to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Eagle Extension FAQ
- Eagle Extension Request and Review Process
- Appealing A Time Extension Request Denial
- Appeal of Extension Request Denial Form
Citizenship in Society Merit Badge- The Eagle requirements (1 through 6) must be completed before July 1, 2022. The application does not have to be verified, nor the Board of Review held before July 1st. But if any requirements are not finished before 7/01/22 the Scout must do the Citizenship in Society merit badge.
Eagle Trail Workshop
2023 Eagle Trail Workshops
Jump start your journey along the trail to Eagle with this workshop! The workshop is a unique experience where Scouts work with counselors on three Eagle required badges and the Life-to-Eagle process.
2023 Workshop Dates
July 31st- August 3rd, 2023| Register HERE
December Workshop Date (date coming late Spring of 2023)
Learn About Nova - S.T.E.M. based awards
- National Nova Program – Familiarize yourself with the BSA NOVA program and find all the newest updates.
- STEM STAR Patch 2022 - New to GSLAC Scouts. Earn this patch by going down the STEM trail while earning other core BSA advancements. Can you be a star in STEM, absolutely. The application is now available - apply HERE! Thanks to Daugherty Business Solutions as our patch sponsor!
- Nova Literature – You can purchase Nova Books for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, & Venturers.
- Nova Unit Guides – Need some help bringing STEM to your Unit? The National STEM Committee developed STEM Unit Guides for Cub Scouts and for Scouts BSA.
Merit Badge Counselors
Guide for Merit Badge Counseling
- Becoming a Merit Badge Counselor / Changes to a Counselor record / Annual Renewals
- Counselor Directory and Online Application
- Merit Badge Counselor Application 2020 (click to open a downloadable PDF in a new browser tab)
- Supernova Mentor Application (click to open a fillable PDF in a new browser tab)
- Fillable Blue Cards
New Badge - Health Care Professions. This badge will replace the Medical merit badge. Starting January 01, 2022 the Medical merit badge should not be started. Those currently working on the Medical badge may finish under those requirements.
My.Scouting help: if you experience issues with my.scouting please clear cache/cookies from your computer as these can cause the program to hang up. Using an incognito or private window can help helpful. Update your browser if you are running an older version. Clear browser history.
New Badge - Citizenship in Society- When applying to become a counselor for this badge please complete the supplemental form and email it to email@example.com or deliver/mail it to any of our council service centers. This badge requires additional training due to the unique way this badge is conducted. Please take the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Scouting Training located at my.scouting.org required training. On your counselor application please list your qualifications and and any experience you have regarding this topic. Anticipate that counselor approval for this badge may take longer than usual.
CITIZENSHIP IN SOCIETY agreement (supplemental form)
If you experience any issues with the Merit Badge Counselor process please contact:
Donna Baer 314-256-3126
Merit Badge Skill Centers
- Click here to see classes offered by Council Approved Program Partners
- GSLAC Merit Badge Group Instruction Policy Form
- Merit Badge Classes:
- Dog Care at Humane Society | Ongoing Zoom classes | Sign Up Here
- Various classes with Gateway Arch | Sign up starts Jan 03, 2023 | Information Here
- Truck Transportation-UniGroup | April 29, 2023 | Sign Up Here
- Olin Shotgun Merit Badge | March 18, April 15, May 20, 2023 | Contact Bill Cochran @ firstname.lastname@example.org to register for this class.
- See Council Approved Program Partners for new Citizenship in the Nation classes.
Merit Badge Sponsor Information
Cub Advancement Workshops
*NEW* Cub Scout Advancement Workshop
We will be offering Cub Scout Advancement Workshops to help supplement dens to achieve their rank advancement.
Beaumont Scout Reservation| November 5th 2022.
My Tiger Jungle (Tiger) | Sign Up HERE
Paws of Skills (Wolf)| Sign Up HERE
BALOO the Builder (Bear)| Sign Up HERE
Cast Iron Chef (Webelo) |Sign Up HERE
University of Scouting
University of Scouting
University of Scouting is an event that offers the widest variety of Merit Badge clinics as well as training opportunities, in all program areas, all in one place! You will find just about anything to do with Scouting at University of Scouting whether you are a Scout, leader, commissioner, or parent!
Mark your calendars for the 2022 University of Scouting on January 28th, 2023! Click Here for more information.
Scouts BSA Voyageur Workshop
What is it?
Calling all Scouts BSA! We have an action-packed event that is designed to help our first-year Scouts along their advancement trail and enjoy some of the fun activities available at our camps. The workshop runs from 9:00am to 4:30pm.
Join us for Map and Compass, Fire Building, First Aid, and Knots and Lashing instruction. Scouts will also get to try their hand at shooting sports! Don’t miss this chance to have an awesome day at camp while fulfilling many Scout through First Class rank requirements!
May 20th| Beaumont Scout Reservation