Fundraising is an extremely important part of a first-rate Scouting program. Money from fundraising activities can be used to cover the cost of activities and events, equipment, badges and advancement and summer camp.
Every fall, the Greater St. Louis Area Council conducts its annual Popcorn Fundraiser across the St. Louis area. Revenue from popcorn sales help the council provide better services, more volunteer resources, the improvement of facilities and in many cases, support entire annual programs for many Scout units.
This annual event offers Scouting groups a simple, safe, effective way to raise money that, in turn, teaches boys speaking skills, confidence and salesmanship. Scouts have the opportunity to earn prizes, trips, even a college scholarship account based on their total sales.
Benefits of the Popcorn Fundraiser:
- Raises additional funds for Scouting activities
- Reduces out-of-pocket expenses for Scout parents
- Teaches Scouts the value of earning their own way
- Develops a Scout’s communication and selling skills
There are three ways Scouts can participate in the Popcorn Fundraiser:
- Selling Door-To-Door —Scouts ask friends, family and neighbors to purchase popcorn products
- Show ‘n’ Sell—A Scout unit receives permission to display popcorn products at a local retailer then approach customers as they pass
- Online Sales—Scouts create their own online store on the website