National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
NYLT: Be Prepared to Lead the Way
Week 1 – June 14-20 @ Camp Sakima
Week 2 – June 21-27 @ Camp Sakima
Week 3 – July 05-11 @ Camp Sakima
Week 4 – July 12-18 @ Camp Sakima
Week 5 – July 26-Aug 1 @ Camp Warren Levis
What is NYLT?
NYLT is a six-day course that delivers training in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
Why attend NYLT?
Through this week long outdoor training. Scouts grow and improve their leadership skills while following the guidelines of the Scout Oath and Scout Law. Scouts earning the NYLT Shield are better prepared to interact with adult leaders and face the challenges and demands ahead.
To attend NYLT, a Scout must be:
- A current registered member of the BSA
- First Class rank or higher and completed introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops
- 13 years old
- A current or prospective youth leader approved by the Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor
- Venturers and Sea Scouts are exempt from the first class rank and must fall within the maximum age allowance and minimum age for Venturers.
- Pack & Paddle candidates must be 14 years old by the date of camp and pass the BSA Swim test.
S-F Sakima offers Land Based and Pack and Paddle Courses and Youth and Adult Staffing opportunities. Warren Levis offers a Land Based course and Youth and Adult Staffing opportunities.
Information coming soon on incentives for increasing your units participation.
Participant/Parent/Guardian/Unit Leader | Required Documents for 2020 The following forms must be completed and reviewed by a parent or guardian before arriving at NYLT Camp.
- Over the Counter Drug Permission
- NYLT Parent Letter
- Health Form ABC
- Land-Based-Equipment-List & Sakima Map 2020
- Land Based Equipment List & Warren Levis Map 2020
- Pack-Paddle-Equipment-List & Sakima Map 2020
The following form must be completed by the Unit Leader prior to arriving at NYLT Camp:
A Scout need only attend one of these weeks to successfully complete the NYLT course. A Scout must be at camp for the entire week to complete the program.
NYLT Pack & Paddle
The Pack & Paddle course is conducted in the S bar F Scout Ranch backcountry and on Nims Lake during the NYLT courses. Attending Scouts and Venturers develop leadership skills, practice low-impact camping, hiking, canoeing, and learn the proper use of a compass for navigation.
All participants must stow food, crew gear, shelter, personal items and any other essential equipment in their packs. It’s important to remember when selecting equipment that this is a physically demanding course.
To attend Pack & Paddle, a candidate must:
- Meet all NYLT requirements
- Be 14 years old by date of summer camp
- Pass the BSA swim test (swim 100 yards using strong strokes)
The Pack & Paddle outpost adventure program follows the NYLT syllabus.
Regular price is $280.00. A discount will be applied if registered and paid before April 08, 2020. Late fees apply as of June 01, 2020.
|Special Diet Requests– Click here to access the form
NYLT staff is a terrific opportunity for graduates of the NYLT program to master their leadership skills while having a ton of fun and building bonds with other Scouts on staff.
Scouts on NYLT Staff are responsible for running the program at their respective weeks. The only requirement to be on NYLT staff is to successfully complete an NYLT course.
All staff members must work at least one week of NYLT this summer and will be required to be there for the full duration. Be sure you check which weeks you can staff and pick one that works for you.
Every Scout applying for staff, whether new or returning, must fill out an application and also complete an interview with the Youth Directors.
Interview Dates for 2020 Program:
November 29, 2019: Mo Baptist Medical Center (Returning Staff Only) 10am – 4pm
December 14, 2019: Belleville Service Center – By Appointment Only- contact Paul McLaughlin after 3pm 618-420-5488
December 21, 2019: Ritter Service Center, Cape Girardeau By Appointment Only – contact Dawn Fansler 314-706-7286
January 3, 2020: Beaumont Scout Reservation, Emerson Center 11am – 7pm
January 4, 2020: Beaumont Scout Reservation, Emerson Center 9am – 4pm
all sessions 6:30-8:30 p.m.at Beaumont, Emerson Center-dining hall
- February 25, 2020 Tuesday
- April 01, 2020 Wednesday
- April 30, 2020 Thursday
2020 Staff Development Dates (staff must attend all dates):
- Future sessions will be done virtually. You will receive notification from the youth director assigned to your work week.
- June 5-7: Work Weekend Camp Sakima
- TBA: Work Weekend Camp Warren Levis