National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT)
NYLT: Be Prepared to Lead the Way
2018 NYLT Schedule
Week 1 – June 10-16, 2018- Boy Scout Only
Week 2 – June 17-23, 2018-Boy Scout and Venturing (coed)
Week 3 – June 24-30, 2018-Boy Scout and Venturing (coed)
Week 4 – July 8-14, 2018-Boy Scout Only
Week 5 – July 15-21, 2018- Boy Scout and Venturing (coed)
Participant/Parent/Guardian/Unit Leader | Required Documents for 2018
The following forms must be completed and reviewed by a parent or guardian before arriving at NYLT Camp:
- Over the Counter Drug Permission
- Health Form
- Parents/Guardians Letter
- Speciality Diet Form
- Land Based Equipment List
- Pack and Paddle Equipment List
The following form must be completed by the Unit Leader prior to arriving at NYLT Camp:
NYLT Incentive | 2018 NYLT Incentive Form
Have more Scouts or Venturers attending NYLT this year than last year? Your unit may qualify for the NYLT Incentive.
Why attend NYLT?
Through this weeklong outdoor training, male and female Scouts grow and improve their leadership skills while following the guidelines of the Scout Oath and Scout Law. NYLT is conducted during summer camp.
Scouts earning the NYLT shield are better prepared to interact with adult leaders and face the challenges and demands ahead. This course is offered to both male and female scouts.
To attend NYLT, a Scout must be:
- A current registered member of the BSA who has attended long-term Boy Scout camp for a minimum of two years
- First Class rank or higher
- Thirteen years old
- A member of a troop whose Scoutmaster has completed the adult Boy Scout Leader Basic Training Course
- A current or prospective youth leader approved by the Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor
Venturing participants must meet all of the above but the First class rank requirement.
A Scout need only attend one of these weeks to successfully complete the NYLT course. A Scout must be at camp for the entire week to complete the program.
For Scouts and Venturers planning to attend NYLT in 2017, please click on the links below for more information regarding the course. Only Scouts and Venturers registered for the NYLT Pack and Paddle program need to use the Pack and Paddle list.
Charting Your Path – NYLT Pack and Paddle
NYLT Pack & Paddle
The Pack & Paddle course is conducted in the S bar F Scout Ranch backcountry and on Nims Lake during the NYLT courses. Attending Scouts and Venturers develop leadership skills, practice low-impact camping, hiking, canoeing, and learn the proper use of a compass for navigation.
All participants must stow food, crew gear, shelter, personal items and any other essential equipment in their packs. It’s important to remember when selecting equipment that this is a physically demanding course.
To attend Pack & Paddle, a candidate must:
- Meet all NYLT requirements
- Be 14 years old by date of summer camp
- Pass the BSA swim test (swim 100 yards using strong strokes)
The Pack & Paddle outpost adventure program follows the NYLT syllabus.
NYLT staff is a terrific opportunity for graduates of the NYLT program to master their leadership skills while having a ton of fun and building bonds with other Scouts on staff.
Scouts on NYLT Staff are responsible for running the program at their respective weeks. The only requirement to be on NYLT staff is to successfully complete an NYLT course.
All staff members must work at least one week of NYLT this summer and will be required to be there for the full duration. Be sure you check which weeks you can staff and pick one that works for you.
Every Scout applying for staff, whether new or returning, must fill out an application and also complete an interview with the Youth Directors.
Notecard Sessions (All sessions 5-8 p.m.)
- 2/26: Camp Warren, Levis Swaim Lodge
- 3/12: Beaumont, Emerson Center
- 3/26: Christian Hospital
- 4/16: Beaumont, Emerson Center
- 4/30: New Location coming soon
- 5/21: Beaumont, Emerson Center
2018 Staff Development Dates (staff must attend all dates):
- February 16-17, 2018 – Emerson Center, Beaumont Scout Reservation
- March 16-18, 2018 – Emerson Center, Beaumont Scout Reservation
- April 20-21, 2018- Emerson Center, Beaumont Scout Reservation
- June 1-3, 2018- Work Weekend Camp Sakima